Enriching the curriculum

I always said, that if I was lucky enough to get a management position that I would try and provide wider learning opportunities for the children alongside English, Maths and Science.  Therefore I was thrilled that we got an opportunity to work with Z arts and celebrate Chinese New Year.

The children had a truly wonderful morning.  They participated in an assembly where they learned about China and the different forms of art that it is famous for.  The highlight for many children though was finding out which animal of the Chinese zodiac they were born under.  They were then encouraged to take on the characteristics of that animal, it was a funny sight!

Afterwards, the children took part in a variety of art work shops.  Key stage two children learned about the willow pattern story and painted their own willow pattern designs onto paper plates.  They also explored Chinese calligraphy and had the opportunity to recreate some of the icons involved.

Key Stage 1 children participated in some traditional fan dancing with a Chinese artist called Fen Fen.  She wore her traditional costume and each child had one of her traditional fans to dance with.  It was beautiful to watch the movements that the children were making to the Chinese music.

The Early Years children, made a giant Chinese dragon out of recyclable materials.  They decided to call him,’Lung’, which is Mandarin for dragon.

The children got so much out of their morning and their learning outcomes are clear to see.  There are several new displays in the hall to demonstrate our learning.  Please do take the opportunity to pop in and see them at Parents’ Evening.

It just remains for me to say, ” Kung hei fat choi!  Happy New Year!”dragonsscrollswillow