Mud Pie Kitchens

On Thursday after school I was lucky enough to go on a training course at Wellfield Infant School in Sale.  The course was about Mud Pie Kitchens and I couldn’t wait. 

You see, it took me back to when I was a little girl.  I can remember spending hours in the garden mixing mud and water together to make mud pies for my Mum.  How many of you can remember making rose petal perfume in jars?  Great memories!

Earlier on this week, I had supported some of our Year 6 children whilst they were taking their SATs papers.  Testing has been around for many years now and has become part of the ‘norm’.  However, it also made me think about just how important it is for them all to have the time to be children, to make mud pies and potions and climb trees and the like.  Just like we did when we were children and hence the reason we have been so passionate as a school to secure the funding and realise the vision of having our own Forest School Area.

The course was excellent, everything I had hoped for and more.  Miss Graham, the Head Teacher is an Early Years specialist.  Her love of Early Years and mud pie kitchens really came across.  I learned lots of things that I hope to bring back to the mud kitchen area at GHPS.

But did you know,  studies have shown dirt to be good for you?  Apparently, there are different types f bacteria that are naturally found in soil which activate neurones to produce Serotonin.   Serotonin is a key chemical in many bodily functions as well as a natural anti-depressant.

In other words, dirt can actually make you feel happy!